VEGAN PUMPKIN PIE
The only Vegan Pumpkin Pie recipe that you will ever need, and it’s great for the holidays! With just 9 ingredients, it is SO simple to make. No one’s going to presume that it’s vegan!
In 2018, the recipe was originally written. In October 2019, I gave it a makeover with better images and writing. Unchanged is the recipe.
Pumpkin Pie is the holiday season’s must-have dessert. In a home-made (or store purchased) pie crust served with a dollop of Vegan Whipped Cream, the sweet, spiced pumpkin custard filling is classic and delicious.
It is ridiculously easy to make this recipe. All you have to do is mix, pour, bake and enjoy the ingredients!
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter, cold & cubed
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 3-5 Tbsp Cold Water
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 15 oz. Can Pumpkin Puree
- 3/4 Cup Full-Fat Coconut Milk (from a can)*
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Cloves
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Flax Egg**
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- To make the crust, start by mixing the flour, sugar and salt together. Then add the cold, cubed vegan butter and cut in with a pastry cutter or using two forks, until mixture has a sandy texture.
- Add just enough cold water until it starts to come together, and can be squished together with your fingers.
- Flour a flat surface and place dough down, shaping into a circle. Roll out into a 12 inch circle with a rolling pin. If the edges crack a bit you can just squish them back together. Use another sprinkle of flour if needed to keep from sticking.
- Roll the dough onto the rolling pin and then unroll on a 9 inch pie pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Chill for 30-60 minutes in the fridge.
- In the meantime, start on the filling: mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cornstarch and salt. Then add the pumpkin puree, coconut milk and flax egg and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Once pie crust has chilled, preheat oven to 425 degrees F and place a small amount of aluminum foil over the center of the crust. Add pie weights, or dry beans or rice to help it not rise. Pre-bake for 10 minutes, then carefully remove aluminum foil and weights and bake another 5-8 minutes, until the center is set and there is no translucence.
- Allow the crust to cool until it’s just warm and not hot. Pour in filling mixture.
- To help the edges not burn, cover them with a pie crust shield or aluminum foil (see video for reference).
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for another 25-30 minutes, or until the center is set.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes and then place on a hot pad in the fridge for 2-3 hours to set, making sure the pan isn’t touching anything else in the fridge.
- Cut and enjoy!